And Then Some

Sunday, August 03, 2003

Jigga-huh? (or Graydon didn't like it)
I went to see Shakespeare in the Park on Wednesday. It was Henry V, and I had a great seat, fourth row center. Liev Schreiber* played Henry. He was fabulous (and hot). Unfortunately, the rest of the play wasn't as good as Liev. Many parts just left me baffled. Why did Bronson Pinchot (Pistol) have an Elvis hair-do, a unibrow and a Jersey accent? Why was there a gratuitous shower scene with the French princess?** Why were some actors playing horses and carrying the French soldiers about the stage? More importantly, why were these "horses" only wearing quilted chaps, shiny man-kinis and stirrups?

I happened to be sitting across the aisle from Graydon Carter.*** I wouldn't have noticed him except the woman behind me pointed him out to the European guy with her and then had to explain what Vanity Fair is. Graydon and his lady friend did not return after intermission. I took this as a comment on the play.

Footnotes
*He's a really well-respected stage actor. Personally, I recognized him as the freaky ex-boyfriend in Kate and Leopold. I am so uncultured.

**My favorite part of this scene was the sign they had to have outside the theatre. "This production of Henry V includes strobe lights, gun fire and brief nudity." How often can you say that about Shakespeare?

***Graydon was wearing a navy blazer, orange (or perhaps coral) pants and cowboy boots. If magazine editing taught me anything, it's that the editor of Vanity Fair gets a clothing allowance. So, Graydon, darling, what were you doing in such hideous pants?

Confession
I have a crush on a meatosexual. His name is Pete. He's a waiter. On TV. NBC's The Restaurant, to be specific. He wears a belt buckle that says "Stallion." He keeps his shirt partially unbuttoned to show off what appears to be a beater. (He doesn't wear any sort of chain, though, so he might still be trustworthy.) He wears a lot of goop in his hair. During the first episode, he announced that he does not wear underwear. During the second episode, he said, "Woah, are those the Coors Light twins?" (They were.) He got separated from another waiter because they goofed off too much. He trekked around Manhattan to buy wine for a table after the restaurant ran out of red wine (or at least he thought they had). But he's hilarious, and I'm smitten.

In other news
-Thursday night I went to see Rhett Miller (of the Olde 97s) at Bowry Ballroom (think the Blue Note, only less sketchy).
-Saturday night I went to see a really good and really depressing movie, The Magdalene Sisters. It's about the Magdalene laundaries in 1960s Ireland. Girls who had babies out of wedlock, got raped or even just flirted too much were sent there to work off their "sins" with hard labor. Lesson: flims condemned by the Catholic Church are worth seeing.
-I finally got a New York cell phone number.
-I start work tomorrow. How weird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home