Yes, it's been a little while since I've blogged. But, don't worry Paul, that doesn't mean I've starved to death in Battery Park. I've just been busy apartment hunting and letting my gainfully employed brother buy me food.
The Hunt (in too much detail)
W. 38th - This apartment was in the fashion district and close to Times Square, which I hate. Upside - the room was huge and there was access to the roof. Downside - the building wasn't heated and, um, New York gets cold in the winter.
E. 3rd St. - This apartment was in the East Village right around the corner from my favorite restaurant, Mama's. Upside - The room already had a bed, and the woman I'd be living with seemed nice. Downside - I'd also be living with her boyfriend, which could be weird. Bonus - I got stuck in between the two front doors on my way out, but was quickly rescued by a cute neighbor on his way out who knew how to open the door. The New York City chapter of Hell's Angels is right down the street so I could pick out a burly, tattooed biker to marry so I can forget about all this apartment and job stuff.
Central Park West - This apartment was above an elementary school. My potential roommate was a woman with a mohawk. She's an artist. Upside - amazing view of Central Park; apartment full of really cool art. Downside - felt more like a really hip art gallery than somewhere to live.
98th and Amsterdam - I got up early, took a cross-town bus and then walked here in the rain. I was there at 10:30 a.m. as agreed upon. And no one was home. I was wet and annoyed.
Astoria, Queens - The great deal apartment I'd made plans to get see even before I left Belvidere was not to be. At 10 p.m. the night before their scheduled open house, the girls called and said they'd given the room to someone already.
E. 83rd - I walked here in the rain, too. Saturday was a damp depressing day. Upside - great apartment with lots of room, friendly roommate. Downside - fifth-floor walk-up far from subway, unfurnished, slightly more than I want to spend.
W. 8th St. - Apartment just down the block from the dorm I stayed in my first summer. Upside - Really cheap. Great Greenwich Village location. Downside - It's a share in a studio apartment. I'd have a loft bed and a closet curtained off from the rest of the room. Very college dorm. I couldn't move in until May 15th.
After lots of agonizing and a little rejection, I'll be living here. I pick up the keys tonight.
Escape from the City
To avoid thinking about apartments for a little while, I went up to my brothers for the weekend. While there:
- I got carded to get into an R-rated movie. Please tell me I look older than 17.
- I slept on the pull-out couch my brother bought the day of my visit.
- I ate sushi for the first time. It's actually really good.
The Hunt (in too much detail)
W. 38th - This apartment was in the fashion district and close to Times Square, which I hate. Upside - the room was huge and there was access to the roof. Downside - the building wasn't heated and, um, New York gets cold in the winter.
E. 3rd St. - This apartment was in the East Village right around the corner from my favorite restaurant, Mama's. Upside - The room already had a bed, and the woman I'd be living with seemed nice. Downside - I'd also be living with her boyfriend, which could be weird. Bonus - I got stuck in between the two front doors on my way out, but was quickly rescued by a cute neighbor on his way out who knew how to open the door. The New York City chapter of Hell's Angels is right down the street so I could pick out a burly, tattooed biker to marry so I can forget about all this apartment and job stuff.
Central Park West - This apartment was above an elementary school. My potential roommate was a woman with a mohawk. She's an artist. Upside - amazing view of Central Park; apartment full of really cool art. Downside - felt more like a really hip art gallery than somewhere to live.
98th and Amsterdam - I got up early, took a cross-town bus and then walked here in the rain. I was there at 10:30 a.m. as agreed upon. And no one was home. I was wet and annoyed.
Astoria, Queens - The great deal apartment I'd made plans to get see even before I left Belvidere was not to be. At 10 p.m. the night before their scheduled open house, the girls called and said they'd given the room to someone already.
E. 83rd - I walked here in the rain, too. Saturday was a damp depressing day. Upside - great apartment with lots of room, friendly roommate. Downside - fifth-floor walk-up far from subway, unfurnished, slightly more than I want to spend.
W. 8th St. - Apartment just down the block from the dorm I stayed in my first summer. Upside - Really cheap. Great Greenwich Village location. Downside - It's a share in a studio apartment. I'd have a loft bed and a closet curtained off from the rest of the room. Very college dorm. I couldn't move in until May 15th.
After lots of agonizing and a little rejection, I'll be living here. I pick up the keys tonight.
Escape from the City
To avoid thinking about apartments for a little while, I went up to my brothers for the weekend. While there:
- I got carded to get into an R-rated movie. Please tell me I look older than 17.
- I slept on the pull-out couch my brother bought the day of my visit.
- I ate sushi for the first time. It's actually really good.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home