And Then Some

Sunday, September 26, 2004

Friday
The Bohemian Beer Garden in Astoria is quickly becoming one of my favorite places. You just can't beat good weather, good friends, tasty German beer and cheap burgers. Too bad it will soon be too cold to frequent outdoor drinking establishments.

Saturday
The good thing about going to a Saw Doctors concert by myself is that I can be a total geek and get there really early to get a spot up front. The bad thing is that then I have to stand around with no one to talk to for an hour until the opening act comes on. And I don't have anyone to hold my spot while I go get a drink.

The opening act sucked. Willie Nile is trying way too hard to be Bob Dylan. He even has the hair cut. But his rhymes are really awful. And Jimmy the guitarist from Conan played with him. He's really scary looking up close.

The Saw Doctors, on the other hand, were fabulous. I love those boys. (Yes, I realize they are middle-age Irishmen, but they are still my boys. But, Davey, darling, please get a hair cut. You're starting to look like an aging hippie.) They played almost two and a half hours, and they played my favorite song, which they rarely play in concert. And they must be able to read my mind because after the last concert I was wondering why they didn't usually play songs from Villains, their most recent album, in concert. Then, this time they played quite a few from it. And they introduce songs with comments like, "This is for all the Catholics out there. It's about the tradition of going into a cupboard with an old man and telling him all the most interesting bits of your life." And in the middle of one song, Leo always goes on a tangent about Gaelic football. And their music always makes me happy. I wish I could afford to see them again when they come back in October.

Sunday
I also wish I knew some Irish guys with illegal cable (or really, really good cable). The All-Ireland Gaelic Football Final was today. Kerry v. Mayo, and Mayo was the underdog. I'm a Mayo girl, and I really wanted to watch. But I had no idea where it would be on or what pub would be open at 10:30 in the morning when it was on. But it was a gorgeous day, so I spent most of it outside in Carl Schurz Park instead. I guess it was just as well because Mayo lost.

1 Comments:

  • Mayo-naaiiise!! -The Smithers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home