It's snowing. It's snowing. God, I hate this weather ...
Apparently, I am in the middle of what the kids (and by the kids I mean melodramatic TV weathermen) call a nor'easter.
"There's a monster nor'easter headed our way. When it will hit and how you should prepare."
What does that mean? Turns out, it means snow. It started snowing at about 11 this morning, which was actually quite pretty if you could actually see a window. People started freaking out. "It's going to be a white out." "It's already snowed a foot in D.C. Leaving work, I was a bit disappointed. The snow didn't live up to all the hype. There's only two inches or so, and it's all slush. Ugly, gray slush. That's not festive.
On the way home, I saw a few "New York in snow" sites. When the subway train pulled up to the platform at Union Square, there was still snow on top. It had been underground since somewhere in Brooklyn. Of course, there was a small rainstorm down the sides of the cars as it melted. That made getting inside really fun. Then on my long walk home (I'm quite proud I didn't wimp out and take the bus.) I saw a lot of people using umbrellas. A street vendor/random man on the sidewalk even tried to sell me an umbrella. In the snow? Crazy New Yorkers.
But it's still snowing, so maybe I'll learn to respect the nor'easter by the end of the weekend.
Apparently, I am in the middle of what the kids (and by the kids I mean melodramatic TV weathermen) call a nor'easter.
"There's a monster nor'easter headed our way. When it will hit and how you should prepare."
What does that mean? Turns out, it means snow. It started snowing at about 11 this morning, which was actually quite pretty if you could actually see a window. People started freaking out. "It's going to be a white out." "It's already snowed a foot in D.C. Leaving work, I was a bit disappointed. The snow didn't live up to all the hype. There's only two inches or so, and it's all slush. Ugly, gray slush. That's not festive.
On the way home, I saw a few "New York in snow" sites. When the subway train pulled up to the platform at Union Square, there was still snow on top. It had been underground since somewhere in Brooklyn. Of course, there was a small rainstorm down the sides of the cars as it melted. That made getting inside really fun. Then on my long walk home (I'm quite proud I didn't wimp out and take the bus.) I saw a lot of people using umbrellas. A street vendor/random man on the sidewalk even tried to sell me an umbrella. In the snow? Crazy New Yorkers.
But it's still snowing, so maybe I'll learn to respect the nor'easter by the end of the weekend.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home