And Then Some

Monday, November 03, 2003

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to work ...
Three people (or one-fifth of our staff including ad, art and editorial) got "terminated" today. I was not one of them. But I was friends with all of them. I ate lunch almost every day with one of them (who started work two weeks after me). And one of them was our research editor, and now that she's gone I'll get to do her job and my job. Good times.

On a more positive note ...

I heart the New York City Marathon
The marathon went almost right by my apartment on Sunday. I just had to walk a block over the First Avenue. I got there right before the elite women ran by, and I got a really good spot. The top women were pretty evenly split between Kenya and Russia. The men came by about half an hour later. There was a huge pack up front. It was all Kenyans and this one random Italian guy. It reminded me of high school cross country when one team would run in a pack as a sort of strategy. It was just so exciting to watch them run by.

About 45 minutes later the main pack started and lasted for about an hour or more. I was at the top of a hill and could see down First Avenue to somewhere in the 60s, and the street was just packed with people as far as you could see. It an amazing sight. And the crowd was so fun. People has their names written on their shirts, and we would yell for every random stranger that ran by. Some people slapped hands with us as they ran by. A huge group of Dutch people were stationed across the street and went absolutely nuts when any one from Holland ran by.

I did see P. Diddy run by. I thought I might miss him in the crowd because I heard that he just wanted to run like everyone else. But he was the only runner I saw escorted by a golf cart full of TV cameras and being interviewed by a reporter in NBC running gear jogging along side him. P. Diddy did inspire some great slogans on other runners' shirts, though. "I'm way ahead of P. Diddy." "P. Diddy isn't going to finish the race." (That one was on the back of a shirt. I can only hope the guy was lined up near him.) A father-son running duo with "P. Daddy" and "P. Sonny" shirts.

Other great things about the marathon
- the wheelchair racers and blind runners
- everyone on Team Ireland
- all the people in costume: Sponge Bob, a giant pumpkin, an angel, two guys in drag, a London cop (a bobbie?), a three guys running together as Batman, Robin and Superman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home