Flip cup for kids
Today, I discovered a bizarre new sport. It's called Sport Stacking. It involves kids standing at a table and stacking and unstacking plastic cups in different patterns and seeing who's faster. Apparently, there are tournaments and metals and such. The pr rep for the toy company making official sport stacking cups and mats tried to convince me that this was really going to catch on with kids across the country. I can only see it catching on with the mathlete/quizbowl set. (That's not an insult; I was a mathlete.) She also kept telling me that it was like nothing else out there. I disagreed, but I really couldn't say anything. It reminded me a lot of flip cup, but without the alcohol.
She's off to see the wizard ...
On my way home from work today, a woman bumped into me as she passed me on the sidewalk. This is not at all unusual for New York, even though she said excuse me. What made it weird is that she was skipping down the block. Perhaps she was hallucinating and thought she'd found the yellow brick road. But she was wearing work clothes, carrying a gigantic purse and didn't look particularly joyous. All I could think is that she had a death wish and was trying to slip and kill herself in the slushy grossness that is New York City after a snow storm. Sadly, I think it's much more likely that she read in some women's magazine that skipping instead of walking burns more calories, so it's a good way for busy gals to squeeze in a work out.
Today, I discovered a bizarre new sport. It's called Sport Stacking. It involves kids standing at a table and stacking and unstacking plastic cups in different patterns and seeing who's faster. Apparently, there are tournaments and metals and such. The pr rep for the toy company making official sport stacking cups and mats tried to convince me that this was really going to catch on with kids across the country. I can only see it catching on with the mathlete/quizbowl set. (That's not an insult; I was a mathlete.) She also kept telling me that it was like nothing else out there. I disagreed, but I really couldn't say anything. It reminded me a lot of flip cup, but without the alcohol.
She's off to see the wizard ...
On my way home from work today, a woman bumped into me as she passed me on the sidewalk. This is not at all unusual for New York, even though she said excuse me. What made it weird is that she was skipping down the block. Perhaps she was hallucinating and thought she'd found the yellow brick road. But she was wearing work clothes, carrying a gigantic purse and didn't look particularly joyous. All I could think is that she had a death wish and was trying to slip and kill herself in the slushy grossness that is New York City after a snow storm. Sadly, I think it's much more likely that she read in some women's magazine that skipping instead of walking burns more calories, so it's a good way for busy gals to squeeze in a work out.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home