Happy Turkey Day (or should I say ham day?)*
I suppose this is a milestone of sorts. At the age of 23, I am cooking my first Thanksgiving dinner. And I'm making a ham. Because, really, a turkey is a bit impractical for three people.
For awhile I thought I was going to be doing Thanksgiving solo this year, and I had the perfect singleton-in-the-city plan. I was going to make myself pancakes, watch the parade on my tiny TV and go see the sequel to Bridget Jones' Diary.
But thankfully, I now have two friends coming into town to celebrate the holiday, and I'm even more excited about cooking than I am about the movie. I got out of work early today and spent the whole afternoon cooking. I made my very first kugelis (for all you non-Lithuanians, that translates into tasty potato-onion-bacon dish), and all those years of helping my mom make it paid off. I haven't tasted it yet, but it looks like it turned out perfectly. I also made a pumpkin cake with homemade brown sugar whip cream frosting, and a raspberry Jello salad (because I'm from the Midwest). On tap for tomorrow: Swiss vegetables, sweet potatoes and ham (because it goes better with kugelis).
So hopefully it all works out well. If not, I had a lot of fun cooking it. And now I just have to figure out how three people can eat at the same time in my apartment. I don't have a kitchen table, and my breakfast bar only has two stools. I'm leaning toward sitting on the floor and eating off my coffee table.
*This post was composed the day before Thanksgiving but not posted until now because Blogger was being a bitch. The kugelis ended up tasting as good as it looked, and it even passed the taste test of another Lithuanian when my brother came down for post-Thanksgiving leftovers today. And for the record, we did sit on my floor and eat off the coffee table, which was popular with the boys as they could eat and watch football at the same time.
That's all. I'm going to stop rambling now.
I suppose this is a milestone of sorts. At the age of 23, I am cooking my first Thanksgiving dinner. And I'm making a ham. Because, really, a turkey is a bit impractical for three people.
For awhile I thought I was going to be doing Thanksgiving solo this year, and I had the perfect singleton-in-the-city plan. I was going to make myself pancakes, watch the parade on my tiny TV and go see the sequel to Bridget Jones' Diary.
But thankfully, I now have two friends coming into town to celebrate the holiday, and I'm even more excited about cooking than I am about the movie. I got out of work early today and spent the whole afternoon cooking. I made my very first kugelis (for all you non-Lithuanians, that translates into tasty potato-onion-bacon dish), and all those years of helping my mom make it paid off. I haven't tasted it yet, but it looks like it turned out perfectly. I also made a pumpkin cake with homemade brown sugar whip cream frosting, and a raspberry Jello salad (because I'm from the Midwest). On tap for tomorrow: Swiss vegetables, sweet potatoes and ham (because it goes better with kugelis).
So hopefully it all works out well. If not, I had a lot of fun cooking it. And now I just have to figure out how three people can eat at the same time in my apartment. I don't have a kitchen table, and my breakfast bar only has two stools. I'm leaning toward sitting on the floor and eating off my coffee table.
*This post was composed the day before Thanksgiving but not posted until now because Blogger was being a bitch. The kugelis ended up tasting as good as it looked, and it even passed the taste test of another Lithuanian when my brother came down for post-Thanksgiving leftovers today. And for the record, we did sit on my floor and eat off the coffee table, which was popular with the boys as they could eat and watch football at the same time.
That's all. I'm going to stop rambling now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home