And Then Some

Friday, May 07, 2004

Stereotypical New York or I don't remember a funeral parlor being there
I was walking to the subway after work the other day and saw a large group of soberly dressed people crowding a sidewalk ahead of me. There must be a funeral or something, I thought. But I don't remember there being a funeral parlor on this block. Hmm. As I got closer I realized that they were standing outside pop, a sleek and trendy lounge, and they were all outside smoking. So apparently New Yorkers really do wear that much black. Some of the women were wearing patterned black, but still all black.

Why my life resembles The Gilmore Girls or at least this week's episode
1. The cat in the beginning looked exactly like my parents' cat, just without the white feet.
2. The blanket they slept on in the zucchini patch was the same one I had all through high school and is still in my parents' guest room.
3. I have a friend from high school who would try to set me up with the free range chicken guy if she had the chance.

OK, so maybe the episode was more like what my life would be like if I still lived in Belvidere.

I bet my office building is cooler than your office building ...
I was setting up an interview for a people brief for our next issue, and the guy used to managed the building I work in. He told me the best story about it. Back in 1912, the building was called the Wanamaker Building, and it was the tallest building in New York City (at a whooping 15 stories). Old Mr. Wanamaker was good friends with the guy who invented the radio crystal, so the building had one of the world's first radio towers on the roof. But wait, it gets better. That radio tower received the first distress signals from the Titanic! The Titanic! So, I think I win this one hands down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home